Top places in South Africa to visit during vacation
South Africa is obviously one of the best places to be in terms of vacation, tour and adventure.
If you are looking for a place for personal or family or honey moon vacation, then south Africa is the ideal place for you. South Africa ranks as the most beautiful, calm and adventurous places in Africa and the world at large.
The consideration of South Africa as one of the best places for vacation ranges from the security, conducive weather/atmosphere and the beautiful and luxurious places in South Africa and enjoying your vacation in SA requires knowing Top places in South Africa to visit during vacation.
About 60 percent of places in South Africa has at least one unique place any adventurer must visit. This ranges from mountains, water falls , zoos, hotels and resort places etc. The country offers numerous chances to learn about its tumultuous history, land and peoples, with museums and trips to Robben Island or a visit to a Township. Get yourself acquainted with the Top places in South Africa to visit during vacation.
While in South Africa for vacation, one of the best things to do is to go on a road trip through the varied landscapes of the Garden Route. Have a stop off at Hermanus, known for its opportunities to spot southern right whales from the shoreline. Do not visit south Africa for vacation and tour without first making a list of the Top places in South Africa to visit during vacation.
Take a walk on the wild side in the Kruger National Park, where lions, leopards, rhinos, elephants, and buffalos roam free, and leap into the unknown as you take in the views from the top of Table Mountain.
Inasmuch as it is easy to tour the entire South Africa in a matter of weeks, however it is advisable to focus on a particular area of the country to get to appreciate all in the area and that is why there is need for a list of Top places in South Africa to visit during vacation. It should be noted that each of the nine provinces has compelling reasons to visit, although, depending on the time of year and your interests, you’d be wise to concentrate on either the west or the east. Make a list of the Top places in South Africa to visit during vacation before embarking on your vacation to SA.
During the warm months (Nov–April),the Western part of South Africa is the best place to visit. It has the outstanding and very unique attraction of Cape Town, worth experiencing for its matchless setting beneath Table Mountain. Half a day’s drive from here can take you to any other destination in the Western Cape, a province that owes its distinctive character to the longest-established colonial heritage in the country. You’ll find gabled Cape Dutch architecture, historic towns and vineyard-covered mountains in the Winelands; forested coast along the Garden Route; and a dry interior punctuated by Afrikaner dorps (towns) in the Little Karoo.
If what you have seen and experienced in the Western part is so pretty but you are however interested in a more African experience, then permit me to humbly refer you to the Eastern part of the country which is best visited in the cooler months which ranges from May to October.
Going to the Eastern part of South Africa, Johannesburg is likely to be your first point of entry. Its frenetic street life, soaring office blocks and lively mix of people make it quite unlike anywhere else in the country. Half a day is sufficient for you to tour the beautiful provinces of Limpopo and Mpumalanga , which share the mighty Kruger National Park. (I enjoyed my vacation to SA because i made a list of Top places in South Africa to visit during vacation before going).
A visit to Krugerwill give you the opportunity to see and experience the superb game and birdlife, Hluhluwe-Imfolozi Park is the best place in the world to see endangered rhinos, and there are several other outstanding small game reserves nearby aside the famous Hluhluwe-Imfolozi Park , such as Ithala, Mkhuze and Ndumo. For hiking and nature, the high point of the province – literally – is the soaring Drakensberg, which is approximately half a day’s drive from Durban.
After Cape Town, Durban remains the only city in South Africa worth visiting being a busy cultural melting pot with a bustling Indian district and lively beachfront. The long stretch of beaches north and south of Durban is the most developed in the country, but north towards the Mozambique border lies South Africa’s wildest stretch of coast. Across the mountain kingdom of Lesotho from KwaZulu-Natal lies the staunchly Afrikaner heartland of Free State.
Note also that you have not toured South Africa if you have not visited the The Northern Cape and North West Province where you will be met with the Martian landscapes of the Richtersveld and the lion country of the remote but thrilling Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park.
full List Of The Best Places To Visit In South Africa
1. Cape town: This is best with a Helicopter tour. A visit to the cape town popularly know as the mother city will expose you to the gorgeous and great beaches, majestic and beautiful mountains and the beautiful and friendly people of the city. Cape town which is the second largest city of South Africa is in fact one of the most recognized cities in the world. Located on the southwest tip of South Africa’s Western Cape Province.
It should also be noted that the the Houses of Parliament are well-positioned in the Cape Town city center. A tour in the city will also give u the opportunity to have an inside look into the the National Assembly and the notorious old assembly used during Apartheid.
2. The Garden Route: This is another beautiful place in South Africa which any adventurer would not want to miss. it i s stretch of coastline which runs between George and Port Elizabeth. the Garden Route meanders past seaside villages, game reserves, forests, lagoons, and white sandy beaches, with the brilliant blues of the Indian Ocean right alongside you. Stretching from Mossel Bay to St. Francis, this tourist route is what lures most international visitors to South Africa.
Because of the beauty of the garden Route and the fact that there are a whole lot of things to see in the city, someone taking a tour in the city is bound to make a stop every from time to stop, possibly every 10 minutes. Plettenberg Bay, besides beaches, offers a host of wildlife watching opportunities and hiking trails in the sea-facing Robberg Nature Reserve. A short drive away, you can spot tropical birds in one of the world’s largest free-flying aviaries at Birds of Eden, or walk through the forest surrounded by squirrel monkeys and capuchins at Monkeyland. Garden Route is simply a home of game reserve in South Africa and Africa as a whole.
This is one of the most beautiful places to visit in South Africa. it is a a mountain range in South Africa’s KwaZulu-Natal province. The Drakensberg (shortened as Bergs)means ‘Mountains of the Dragon.
The Northern Drakensberg is ideal for hiding due to its warm climate.
Are you a lover of game reserve? If yes, then here is a place for you to visit in South Africa. The the Kruger National Park is South Africa’s and even Africa’s most famous and accessible game reserve, located in north-east of the country , Kruger covers an enormous stretch of ecosystems that support all kinds of wildlife – from grasslands and dense forests to thickets and dry riverbeds.
Kruger National Park was established in 1898 but however opened for public use in 1920.Highlights include hippo and croc spotting from the Crocodile River viewpoint and a visit to the reconstructed Iron Age ruins of Masorini village.
Kruger is a fantastic game reserve to explore on a self-drive. Follow the Sabie and Crocodile rivers and keep your eyes peeled for lions, rhinos, elephants, buffaloes, and leopards lurking amongst the undergrowth. it is covering an area of approximately 20,000 km², it is also now part of the Great Limpopo Transfrontier Park – which includes reserve areas in both neighbouring Mozambique and Zimbabwe. Please on any visit to South Africa for vacation/tour, do not miss to visit this world class game reseerve called Kruger National Park .
5.The Winelands: This is another beautiful and sweet area to visit in South Africa. This unique and classy area offers some of the world’s finest wines as well as being a bustling university town, where the streets are lined with oak trees and quaint little arts and craft shops. This area is most suitable and highly recommended for those who are wine connoisseur. The winelands as the name implies is one of the most picturesque wine-producing regions in the world, with undulating vineyards and spectacular mountain views from just about anywhere. Located just a 45-minute drive from Cape Town.
: Hermanus is home to idyllic little beaches and the Hemel en Aarde Wine Valley with its decadent wine-filled experiences. Even the name itself means Heaven and Earth. Spend your days hiking to waterfalls, fishing in the lagoons or ocean, and horseback riding on the beach. Hermanus is Encompassed by glorious mountains and the aquamarine water of the Atlantic. Note that the word Hermanus means Heaven and Earth. This is a place to be and a tour to South Africa without vising Hermanus is manifestly incomplete.
7. Madikwe Game Reserve : A mention of beautiful places in South Africa will be totally incomplete with the mention of Madikwe Game Reserve. Madikwe is a large, Big Five game reserve, just 4 hours drive from Johannesburg and 2-3 hours from Sun City. It is regarded as one of the finest conservation areas in Africa.
Madikwe is a vast plains of open grasslands and woodlands, covering over 750 km² and its rich diversity of vegetation ensures a wide range of game, with 66 large mammal species and over 300 species of birds. Being located in a malaria-free area of South Africa makes Madikwe Game Reserve an ideal safari destination for families. This is really a nice place to be particularly for animal lovers. it is quiet, conducive and so natural a place.
8. Blyde River Canyon: The Blyde River Canyon is the largest green canyon on the planet, and also one of the deepest natural canyons on Earth. Located along a sensational tourist drive known as the Panorama Route, the canyon is dotted with sensational hotspots – from waterfalls to unusual geology.
When touring the Blyde River Canyon, endeavor to Keep an eye out for a variety of wildlife along the way, such as hippos, crocodiles, and Samango monkeys, as well as Cape vulture, African fish eagle, and Knysna lourie. It’s one of the best bird-watching spots in Mpumalanga. This is a place worth spending time in and feeling nature.
9. Hluhluhwe Umfolozi National Park: Ask me of another park that is a must visit in South Africa and i will gladly refer you to the Hluhluhwe Umfolozi National Park. It is Located in the heart of Zululand. Hluhluhwe Umfolozi National Park, covers 96,000 hectares and is Africa’s oldest game reserve. Home to the Big Five and many other species of animals, such as the elusive cheetah and wild dog. Prime game viewing takes place at hides overlooking pans and water holes, which enable visitors to see animals at close range.
10. Addo Elephant National Park: Addo Elephant National Park is now one of South Africa’s largest national parks – and possibly one of the best for spotting these gentle giantsThe Colchester section is the main game reserve. Here, you can enjoy exhilarating self-drives or camp-run game drives to view the massive populations of elephants, zebras, and antelopes in the park. The Darlington section is home to a dam that attracts some great wildlife, while the Kabouga section is available only to four-wheel-drive vehicles. If you prefer to explore on foot, the Zuurberg and Woody Cape sections have some wonderful trails.
Other very important places to vist includes:
iSimangaliso Wetlands Park
Kingdom of Swaziland
Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park
This list is subject to constant update. South Africa is still a developing country and bound to still come up with other beautiful places worthy of vacation and tour. As more places come, we will contiunue to update our list. Note that the list above is not exhaustive. Also fel free to contact us via our contact or Comment should there be any place you want us to include in our list.
in our next article, we shall be dropping a list of top notch hotels in Spouth Africa with the best hospitality. Keep tuned and be sure to get the best from us.